At Centre for Further Development (CFD) you can prepare for the Life in the UK Test. This is one of the Home Office requirements to apply for the Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and the British Citizenship.

We teach you the knowledge and provide resources that you need to take the test. The teacher will help you to build upon your self-confidence and will explain to you all the sections that you require to pass your test. Our classes are practical and communicative where you can discuss various topics and chapters from the book. You will also use a computer for practice tests.

Our Life in the UK test preparation course helps learners to understand the life in the UK Test book. The classes are conducted in a friendly atmosphere and students are trained to study on their own. We use up to date resources and information based upon the UKVI requirements. We ensure you have gained sufficient knowledge to pass your test.

    Your Life in the UK Test Preparation course covers range of topics you need to know to pass your test and apply for UK citizenship or permanent residency, including:

  • ·The process of becoming a citizen or permanent resident
  • ·The values and principles of the UK
  • ·Traditions and culture from around the UK
  • ·The events and people that have shaped the UK’s history
  • ·The government and the law
  • ·Getting involved in your community

  • We will help you book a test at a Life in the UK test centre.

Key course information:

Course Objectives:
Prepare for the Life in the UK Test by reading practice tests online and paper base.
Entry requirements:
You must be able to read at B1 level, you may be asked: (a) to complete a short oral test; or (b) attend a general English course first to improve your level of English.
From 2 to 10 weeks. Course duration depends on your level of English.

Frequently Asked Questions - Applying for UK Settlement / Citizenship

What is The Life in the UK test?

The Life in The UK test is a test some people need to take as part of their application for British citizenship or settlement in the UK.

Who needs to take the Life in the UK test?

Most people who want to become British citizens need to take the Life in the UK Test. The test is based on the book "Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents". If you pass the Life in The UK test, then you can apply to become a British citizen.

Who does not need to take the Life in The UK test?

    At the time of writing you do not need to take the Life in the UK citizenship test if any of the following applies to you:
  • § You are under 18 years old;
  • § You are over 65 years old;
  • § You have passed the test already, before applying for citizenship;
  • or
  • § You have a long-term physical or mental condition.
  • § If you have a medical condition which exempts you from taking the test, you will need to complete a form or get a letter from your doctor confirming this.

How do I book a Life in The UK test?

You need to book the test through the official government service, here: This is the only way to book an appointment to take the official Life in The UK test. There are Home Office approved test centres across the UK, and you may take the test at a centre that is close to where you live.

What is the knowledge of language and life requirement (KoLL)?

People who want to settle in the UK must be able to speak English and know some things about British life and culture, in order to apply for citizenship. The official name for this requirement is knowledge of language and life (KoLL).

What do I need to do to prove my knowledge of English?

You need to have either an English qualification at B1 level or above from an approved course provider, or a degree taught or researched in English. People who are citizens of the following countries do not need to take a test to prove their knowledge of English:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and The USA.

What type of English course do I need to take?

The UK government often makes changes to these regulations, and we recommend checking what the current situation is with regard to course requirements on UKVI website before making an application for citizenship. If you submit an invalid course certificate, your application will be rejected.

How can I find out if my course has been approved?

The government approved awarding bodies for English language tests taken after November 2015 are as follows:

Tests Taken within The UK

§ Awarding Body:
Cambridge English Language Assessments
§ Courses:
IELTS Life Skills, IELTS
§ Awarding Body:
Trinity College London
§ Courses:
Integrated Skills in English, Graded Examinations in Spoken English

Tests Taken outside The UK

§ Awarding Body:
Cambridge English Language Assessments
§ Courses:
IELTS Life Skills, IELTS

UKPRN Number: 10082066

In Partnership with Lilly Angel